Sunday, April 4, 2010

Precious Memories

Two weeks ago, I traveled to Western Kenya for a multipurpose trip. I will do a series of Blog entries sharing different aspects of my trip. Traveling with me was Jeremiah, and another board member and his wife, James and Jackie Weche.

We were in James' home area and he needed to stop by his son's school. While he was inside talking to the administration, we sat in the car. It was recess time so the children were outside trying to figure out what we were doing there. There were no other cars and that in itself was a site to behold for them. They were very interested in us and what we were doing but they were cautious about approaching the car........

Finally, they got bolder and approached my side of the car. Seeing a white person in this rural area is a rare occurrence and they couldn't resist. After I stuck my arm out to greet the first child, the others swarmed the car to "touch" the mzungu (white person). I'm not sure what runs through their minds when they touch me, but their smiles and joy were so contagious and provided me with a precious memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment