Thursday, April 8, 2010

Popcorn Anyone?

As Americans, we get very accustomed to electricity and running water. It is not at all uncommon in the rural areas of Kenya to be without both. Such was the case on our recent trip.

My daughter bought me a Whirley-Pop popcorn pan for Christmas last year. I decided to take it with me on this trip to treat the rural Kenyans to hot, fresh popcorn. So one of the mornings we were there, they requested that while the fire was hot, could I please make some popcorn! I had just taken a basin bath and washed my hair, but sat myself down in front of the fireplace and started the process.

I had to add wood to the fire to get it going better, then I put in the oil and popcorn......

The rest was easy! Every kernel pops into light fluffy popcorn. I had to make three pans full before everyone was satisfied. Then, and only then did they crank up the generator so I could dry my hair! Such is life in rural Kenya. What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment