Monday, April 5, 2010

A Day in the Tea Bushes

On our journey back towards Nairobi last week, we stopped at Kaplong to visit a fellow Global Outreach missionary, Elijah Kosge and his wife Janet. Elijah had asked me to prepare a lesson to teach on Sunday morning in his church and we had planned to show The Passion video on Saturday night but couldn't because of broken equipment.

We woke up Sunday morning and as we were having our tea in the house, we could hear children singing outside the windows. I stepped out and realized that one of the Sunday School classes was being held under the trees. It was so much fun to just watch and listen as they sang then listened to the lesson.

After out walk to church (about 2km) we enjoyed numerous "choirs". First we heard from the children's choir, then the men, then the women. The one pictured below is the older girl's choir. Kenyan's love singing and they love choir presentations, so we were entertained for over an hour.

Then it was my turn. My interpreter was amazing. Many Kenyan's have a problem with my Texas accent, but he stayed right with me throughout the lesson.

After church, Elijah wanted to show me the land they recently purchased. They plan to build a Bible school on it, so he was very excited for us to see it. Pictured below is their church. We had to walk through the tea bushes to get to their new plot -- which was two plots over from the church.

I never realized how tall tea bushes are. It looks like a solid mass of green, but when you are walking through them, you realize they are planted in very straight rows. It was new experience for me as we pushed our way through the maze of bushes.
All in all, it was a great experience for me and my team. Kenya is made up of 42 tribes. Included in our group was Elijah, a Kipsigis; Jeremiah, a Maasai, and James and Jackie, who are Luhya's. And of course the American!

No comments:

Post a Comment