Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tea Farm


When Zula and I arrived in Kenya late February I knew of several places I had to share with her.  One of the places is the Kiambethu Tea Farm about an hour of Nairobi.  I have done posts on this beautiful place in the past, but I will share here again.  Fiona, the owner of the farm welcomed us into her living room as she tells the "tea story" of her family.  Her grandfather started this farm in 1910.  We sadly learned that our dear Fiona tragically lost her beloved husband last November when he was involved in a car accident.  She is carrying on, but her grief and heartache was obvious.  She is such a dear woman of God.


Joining Zula and I that day was Debi (left) and Joanna.  Debi was visiting Joanna.  Joanna is also a Global Outreach missionary here in Kenya.  They met in a cancer survivor support group.  I love having these Godly women in my life -- plus they are alot of fun!

 

Before we ever got to the "tea" on the this tea farm, we were struck by the beautiful English garden in front of Fiona's house.  My grandmother, mother, and sister would so enjoy these beautiful flowers and plants.  I wish I knew all theiir names, but I don't.  I just enjoy the stunning array of beautiful colors.











This is a colobus monkey.  They are frequent visitors to the farm. They aren't tame, but they are definitely used to people and if you have a banana handy, they will pick it out of your hand.  It is always fascinating and thrilling to get this close to nature.



Zula, bravely handing this monkey a banana.



He's sitting in a papaya tree.  I'm sure he is convinced there is more food available from the visitors!




This is an actual tea farm.  The "dots" you see are the pickers standing waist high in the tea bushes.  They carry large open baskets on their backs and as they pick the tea, they throw it over their shoulders into the baskets.



No comments:

Post a Comment